Criteria for applying for a retirement visa for foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for 10 years (Long-Stay O-X)

       Foreigners wishing to stay in Thailand on a long-term basis after entering retirement must apply for a retirement visa at the Thai embassy or consulate-general in their home country, either a long-term 1-year visa (O-A) or a long-term 10-year visa (Long Stay O-X).

       Anyone who wants to stay in Thailand for a very long time, up to 10 years or more, must have the qualifications given below.  

       That person must be 50 years of age or older (as of the date of application), with the nationality and passport of one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, United States of America, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Japan, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, or Switzerland.

  • Financial criteria 
    (a) Having a fixed deposit in a Thai bank located in Thailand of not less than 3 million baht, or 
    (b) Having a fixed deposit in a Thai bank located in Thailand of not less than 1.8 million baht and having a fixed annual income of not less than 1.2 million baht. Within 1 year, there must be a fixed deposit in a Thai bank located in Thailand with at least 3 million baht. The money in item (a) or (b) must be maintained for a period of not less than 1 year.  The remaining balance in the account, after the first year, must be at least 1.5 million baht. The withdrawal of the deposit can be only for expenses incurred in Thailand, such as medical expenses, condominium purchase, vehicle purchase, or children's education. 

  • They must not have a history of behavior that poses a threat to the security of either Thailand or the country of their nationality or the country of their permanent residence.

  • They must not have a disease prohibited by the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (1992), such as leprosy, tuberculosis in the dangerous phase, elephantiasis, narcotic disease, or syphilis stage 3.

  • There is a Thai health insurance policy covering the entire period of stay in the Kingdom, requiring insurance coverage for outpatient medical expenses of not less than 40,000 baht, and in the case of in-patients not less than 400,000 baht.  Visa holders can find information and buy insurance policies through an online channel at the website

  • Spouses and legitimate children may apply for a non-immigrant visa type “O-X” as a “follower” of a long-term visa holder. However, O-X visa holders are not allowed to work, except for voluntary work according to the list of jobs that fall within the scope of volunteer work specified by the Department of Employment (Under construction).

Source : Department of Consular Affairs
Tel : +66 2575 1034


Copyright 2022, The Government Public Relations Department
Web Traffic Statistics : 22,805,310